Starting the week of December 12, 2022:
Holidays are supposed to be a time of joy and celebration, but for some people they are anything but. Depression may occur at any time of the year, but the stress and anxiety during the months of November and December may cause even those who are usually content to experience loneliness and a lack of fulfillment.
Why is Depression So Common During the Holidays?
There are several reasons why you may develop depression during the holidays: Social Isolation is one of the biggest predictors of depression, essentially during the holidays. Not getting along with family. Avoiding you family and friends. Having problems communicating at work. These are some of the reasons you can experience depressions during the holiday season. One of the best ways to deal with holiday depressions is to reach out to family and friends. You can also volunteer at your local and neighboring community churches, elderly programs, care centers, youth groups and schools.
Tips to prevent holiday stress and depression.
- Acknowledge your feelings
- Reach out
- Be realistic set aside differences
- Stick to a budget
- Plan ahead
- Learn to say no
- Don’t abandon healthy habits / eat healthy
- Take a breather / exercise take a walk
- Seek professional help if you need it
Take control of the holidays
Don’t let the holidays become something you dread. Instead, take steps to prevent the stress and depression that can descend during the holidays. Learn to recognize your holiday triggers, such as financial pressures or personal demands, so you can combat them before they lead to a meltdown. With a little planning and some positive thinking, you can find peace and joy during the holidays.
Talk to your doctor if you are feeling sad for long periods of time. They can refer you to a mental health specialist. If your feelings of sadness during the holidays are accompanied by suicidal thoughts, do one of the following immediately:
- CALL 911 / or text 988
- Go immediately to a hospital emergency room.
- Contact the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline @ 1-800-273-TALK
Have a Healthy and Safe Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year from the Mescalero CHR Program!
Starting on December 6, 2022:
For December 14th, 2022: $300 per tribal member
Checks will be distributed on the following schedule:
Wednesday, December 14, 2022
Mescalero Community Center – Gymnasium
9:00 am – 5:00 pm
Thursday, December 15, 2022
Mescalero Community Center – Gymnasium
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Deductions up to 50% of this dividend will be taken for child support in arrears and past due hardship loans.
The Child Support Enforcement Office will also be distributing checks at the above days and times.
Check mailing information
- Checks will be mailed on Thursday, December 15th, 2022 at 2:00 pm
- Checks will be mailed to out-of-town residents only
- if you reside in Mescalero, Ruidoso, Tularosa or Alamogordo (locals) and would like your check mailed, please notify the Finance Department no later than Wednesday, December 14th by 4:00 pm
- If you are an out-of-town resident and do not want your check mailed, please notify the Administrative front desk receptionists no later than Wednesday, December 14th by 4:00 pm All address changes will need to be made with Crystal Lester as soon as possible
- Once the checks are placed in the mail, they become property of the US Postal service- we cannot go back and request for a check to be pulled or recovered
- All returned checks will go directly to Tribal Finance
- Please call Crystal Lester with any address changes
- Tribal Finance will then contact Crystal Lester for an updated address
- If an updated address is not received, the check will remain in Tribal Finance until a new address has been received
- Once Tribal Finance receives the updated address, the check will be mailed out the next business day
- If you lose a check or it is stolen, you will need to notify the Tribal Finance Department
- A request to place a stop payment will need to be completed. There is a $35 stop payment fee
- The stop payment takes approximately 3 business days
- Once the stop payment has been approved, it will be re-issued the Friday after
Things to remember
- Notes are accepted only with the approval of the President, Vice-President or designee.
- Please have an ID available, as the individuals distributing dividend may not know you and will need to verify your identity
- If you are under the influence, your check will not be distributed to you
- Early check releases are not allowed
Thank you in advance for your cooperation and understanding.