The Mescalero System of Care (MSOC) specializes in comprehensive community mental health services for children with serious emotional disturbances (SED). MSOC offers mental health services to children and youth ages 5 to 21, individual counseling and individual and group equine therapy. Another service is Wraparound, which involves the whole family working with case managers to discover the best type of treatment that would most benefit the child. Our youth group encourages social and leadership skills. We offer a supportive environment with culturally competent youth and family activities. The youth group is open to all Mescalero community youth. Transportation is provided for the youth involved in meetings and activities.
System of Care helps parents and caregivers address the mental health needs of their children and youth while managing the demands of day-to-day living. Adequately meeting these needs requires multiple strategies and agencies. Some of the types of services that systems of care coordinate may include:
- Care Place coordination
- Care management ensures that planned services and supports are delivered and continue to help children, youth, and families move through the system as their needs change.
- Child, youth, and family-serving agencies establish partnerships to coordinate services and supports.
- System of Care includes evidence-based treatments and interventions.
- All services and supports are selected and designed in ways that are responsive to the family’s beliefs, traditions, values, cultures, and language.
- System of Care is accountable for evaluating the outcomes of services for children, youth, and families.
MSOC works with the whole family in providing various supports for their child. We offer family counseling, a family support group and educational classes on patenting, anger management, substance abuse and domestic violence. These classes are also available to anyone in the community. We provide transportation to and from the classes and meetings as needed.
We focus on the strengths of each family, which are the assets, skills, capacities, actions, talents, potential and gifts in each family member. In the Family Support Group, we use strengths to help family member successfully navigate life situations. We honor family voice and choice. Family and youth/child perspectives are intentionally elicited and prioritized during all phases of the youth/child’s treatment.