DEPARTMENT: Mescalero Care Center
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Non-Exempt
OPENING DATE: August 2, 2017
CLOSING DATE: Until fill
Provides day-to-day coordination and leadership to maintain Care Center facilities in proper conditions and in compliance with federal and tribal codes. Performs a variety of skilled mechanical repairs to maintain facilities, machinery, vehicles and HVAC equipment. Provide basic and advanced preventive maintenance of facilities, Care Center grounds, and performs repairs on ground, and Care Center buildings.
This position description may not include all of the listed duties, nor do all of the listed examples include all tasks which may be found or assigned to this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prioritizes, assigns, and schedules work activities and projects, monitors workflow, implements policies and procedures, reviews and evaluates work products, methods and procedures.
- Assists crews and employees to resolve work orders or problems when needed.
- Coordinates with Director on new development projects.
- Complies with applicable building maintenance requirements.
- Establishes schedule of periodic maintenance and repair for operating equipment, buildings, utility systems, grounds, and appliances.
- Coordinates maintenance, construction and repair activities.
- Per maintenance and repairs to Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning systems, and ensures that such equipment meets required federal and tribal codes.
- Maintains and services mechanical equipment, machinery, and components. Performs skilled repair services mechanical, electrical, and building systems and equipment.
- Conducts periodic inspections to evaluate requests and repairs.
- Completes all work in accordance with established safety procedures.
- Ensures goals and objectives of projects are accomplished according to time constraints and budget limitations.
- Performs repairs to facilities and maintain facilities in proper order and in compliance with federal and tribal codes.
- Performs and coordinates all ground and landscaping duties and responsibilities for the facility. Ensures that outside grounds are maintained properly.
- Performs major and minor machinery and vehicle repairs.
- Installs, maintains or repairs plumbing systems, fixtures, furniture, components and parts including hot and cold water lines, sewer lines, water lines, drains, toilets, sinks, faucets and lavatories.
- Unclogs drains, water lines, sewer lines and lavatories.
- Repairs minor electrical problems.
- Assists with installation of doors and windows as needed.
- Cleans and sweep chimneys and vents.
- Reviews material list of supplies needed for each work order.
- May operate heavy equipment.
- Performs and assist with maintenance of fencing.
- Ensures trash is picked up and areas are clean.
- Observes safety rules, and ensures and maintains a safe environment.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Attends training classes and seminars on safety, first aid, equipment/machinery operation, and related topics to maintain and enhance job knowledge.
- Ensures the outside grounds are maintained properly.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to respond to the needs of facility 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Must have HVAC Certification (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning)
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Four years work experience in plumbing, carpentry or maintenance. One year in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Must have a valid NM Driver’s License.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen and background investigation.
Tribal preference and Native American Indian preference shall apply to all positions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of safety operations and procedures, safety methods and practices.
- Knowledge of the methods and practices used in preventive maintenance and repair work.
- Knowledge of rough and finish carpentry.
- Skill in inspecting work to ensure standards.
- Skill in the safe operation of power tools and shop equipment.
- Ability to guide the work of others.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to prepare and maintain work orders.
- Ability to use hand tools and electrical tools.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee regularly is required to climb or balance; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Work is generally performed both in an inside setting with a moderate to high noise level and outdoors where exposure to natural weather conditions and various dusts and mists may occur. Prolonged standing and walking may be on uneven surfaces or unstable ground. Situations where safety-toe shoes, safety goggles, gloves, protective face shields, or hardhats are needed may occur.
Evening, weekend, and/or holiday work will be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts will be required.
HOW TO APPLY
Application can be pick up and return to the Mescalero Care Center.