OPENING: May 10, 2017
CLOSING: May 24, 2017
DEPARTMENT: Resource Management and Protection
LOCATION: Empowerment Building
PAY RATE: $16.00-$22.00/hr., dependent upon experience and qualifications
Diagnoses, repairs and maintains a variety of tribal vehicles or diesel powered vehicles and equipment. Manages the fleet services and assures that operations are in compliance with Federal, State, and local laws and regulations.
This position description may not include all of the listed duties, nor do all of the listed examples include all tasks which may be found or assigned to this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs maintenance and repair services to chainsaws and small engines. Replaces parts and components.
- Performs preventive maintenance services to motor vehicles, trucks, and heavy equipment including engine tune-ups, tire rotation and changes, oil changes, filter changes, and lubrication.
- Inspects batteries, master cylinders, radiators, windshield wipers, lights, steering system, tires, and other vehicle and equipment parts critical for safe operation.
- Maintains vehicle functional condition by listening to operator complaints and conducts inspections to determine issues.
- Coordinates major vehicle repairs with local vendors, abiding by Tribal procurement policies and procedures.
- Maintains inventory of vehicles, chainsaws, and associated parts, supplies, fuel and oil.
- Maintains an accurate and accountable inventory of all shipping and receiving supplies; performs a monthly inventory of supplies.
- Coordinates inventory work with procurement staff.
- Establishes work schedules for warehouse operations; assists in developing and implementing policies, procedures, and systems for the efficient and safe flow of repairs and warehouse operations.
- Opens and closes warehouse. Ensures facility is maintained in a clean and orderly manner. Ensures facility is locked.
- Operates heavy equipment as needed.
- Transports backup equipment or parts out to crews as needed.
- May drive to neighboring communities to drop off vehicles for repair or pick up parts and orders.
- Maintains keys for all vehicles, equipment, storage boxes, office and warehouse doors. Maintains list of who is assigned keys. Arranges for re-keying of door and boxes as needed.
- Implements and observes safety rules to ensure and maintain a safe work environment.
- Maintains compliance with EPA regulations in disposal of used oil, filters, tires, and other parts and equipment.
- Ensures proper care in the use and maintenance of equipment and supplies; promotes continuous improvement of workplace safety and environmental practices.
- Attends training classes and seminars on safety, first aid, equipment/machinery operation, and related topics to maintain and enhance job knowledge.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Associates Degree in Automotive, Logistics or related field preferred.
- Three years’ work experience in repairing and servicing a variety of equipment.
- Must have a valid NM Driver’s License.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen and background investigation.
Tribal preference and Native American Indian preference shall apply to all positions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of safety operations and procedures, safety methods and practices.
- Knowledge of methods, materials, tools, parts, and techniques used in the repair and maintenance of vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of mechanical functions, electrical parts and assembly of chainsaws and engines.
- Skill in the safe operation of hand/power tools, equipment, and trucks.
- Ability to diagnose sources of mechanical trouble and provide required services.
- Ability to prepare and maintain work order and vehicle files.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instruction.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and talk or hear. The employee occasionally is required to sit; and taste or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work is generally performed both in an warehouse setting with a moderate to high noise level and outdoors where exposure to natural weather conditions and various dusts and mists may occur. Prolonged standing and walking may be on uneven surfaces or unstable ground. Situations where safety-toe shoes, safety goggles, gloves, protective face shields, or hardhats are needed may occur. Evening, weekend, and/or holiday work will be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts will be required.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit application to Human Resources – Myra La Paz – 575-464-9273.
Post expires at 4:30pm on Wednesday May 24th, 2017