OPENING DATE: May 18th, 2017
CLOSING DATE: May 26th, 2017
DEPARTMENT: Cattle Growers
EMPLOYMENT STATUS: Non-Exempt
SALARY: $800/tribal pay period, Temporary, (June for Branding Help)
Responsible for the daily care of the cattle and horse herds and maintenance around the ranch.
This position description may not include all of the listed duties, nor do all of the listed examples include all tasks which may be found or assigned to this position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Applicant will be willing to learn how to do the following:
- Builds, repairs and maintains habitat construction, equipment and fences.
- Utilize, care for, and shoe horses.
- Provides daily care by cleaning, feeding and watering the herd.
- Maintains accurate count of the herd.
- Performs branding of the herd.
- Moves herd from pastures to high country and back.
- Ensures adequate supply of water for livestock.
- Administers medications for the herd to maintain their health.
- Operates heavy equipment.
- Collects firewood as necessary.
- Assists with the repair of wells, broken and or leaking water lines as needed.
- Assists with ensuring safety, proper maintenance and cleanliness of the ranch, facility and equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ranch or livestock experience preferred.
- One year riding horses.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug/alcohol screen and background investigation.
Tribal preference and Native American Indian preference shall apply to all positions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of machines and tools, including their designs, uses, repair, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of the methods and practices used in preventive maintenance and repair work.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and applicable safety practices.
- Skill in operating equipment.
- Skill in working with large animals.
- Ability to perform manual work requiring periods of extensive physical exertion and potential exposure to adverse weather conditions.
- Ability to work extended hours and various work schedules.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds and with co-workers at all levels.
- Ability to follow instructions in verbal and written format.
- Ability to weld and fabricate.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally up to 100 pounds.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors. Exposure to natural weather conditions and various dusts and mists may occur while performing outdoor duties. Prolonged exposure to odors. Prolonged sitting is a common occurrence when riding or using equipment. Standing and walking may be on uneven surfaces or unstable ground. Situations where safety-toe shoes, safety goggles, gloves, protective face shields, or hardhats are needed may occur. Evening and/or weekend work may be required. Required to work a non-traditional schedule and weekends. Required to be on call for emergency’s. Travel may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit an application for employment to the Human Resources Department located at the Tribal Offices. Call 575-464-9273 for more information.
Post expires at 4:30pm on Friday May 26th, 2017